A Brief history of Richmond
Richmond was originally known as Sheen, and, in fact maintains a link to this history as East Sheen is one of the entrances to Richmond Park today. Sheen was a Royal residence for a long time with the first 3 Edwards residing there, and thereafter it became a regular retreat and residence once more for the Kings and Queens of Britain, until 1649. The palace is no longer visible, even in part, however it stood on the spot known as the Green. Up until the 18th century, outside the grounds of the old palace, Richmond was largely made up of agricultural land, George II built a hunting lodge in the middle of what is now Richmond park (White Lodge) and numerous other large houses with their own grounds were also built such as Asgill House (pictured left). The area continued to be a fashionable area to live and as a result more large houses began to appear.
Richmond continued to prosper and grow through the 19th century and the opening of the new railway station in 1846 saw the start of the town’s development into a London suburb. Further luxurious housing was built on the Richmond hill streets, and a large part of this is now a conservation area.
Richmond is twinned with Richmond in Virginia, which is quite apt as the founder of the US city, spent a large part of his youth in Richmond, London and the said that the views from the hills overlooking the river in both places bore remarkable similarities.