Healey Motor Company
The Healey Motor Company was formed in 1945 by Donald Mitchell Healey, an auto engineer and racing driver. His Healey Hundred featured a stylish 2-seater sports body designed by Gerry Coker, with a 2.6 litre 4-cylinder Austin engine. The car was shown at the Earls Court Motor show in 1952. It was the star of the show and also attracted the interest of Sir Leonard Lord of Austin who wanted a sports model to counter the competition from MG, Triumph and the Jaguar XK120. An agreement was made and in 1953 the car was put into production by Austin and called the Austin-Healey 100.
The chassis and body was manufactured by Jensen. The same car was later fitted with a six cylinder engine and, with the addition of two little back seats and a new grille, became known as the 100 Six. Further development in March 1956 added a larger cylinder engine and front disc brakes and became known as the Austin-Healey 3000 – the “Big Healey”. The Mk II model was fitted with three SU carburettors to increase the engine power. There were several more modified versions of the 3000 before production ceased in 1967.
Production of the Austin Healey Sprite began in 1958, and this was powered by the BMC A series engine. The Sprite proved to be extremely popular and became fondly known as the Frog-Eyed Sprite due to the position of the headlamps above the low bonnet. Austin-Healey went on to produce cars right up until 1972 when the 20-year agreement between Healey and Austin came to an end.BrmmBrmm Classic Network members listed below, followed by non-member clubs. Click on the website address to visit them.